Readout of White House Meeting on Increasing Access and Affordability of FDA-Approved Overdose Reversal Medications
Today, White House Office of National Drug Control Policy Director Dr. Rahul Gupta, White House Domestic Policy Council Advisor Neera Tanden, U.S. Assistant Secretary for Health Admiral Rachel Levine, and U.S. Assistant Secretary for Mental Health and Substance Use Dr. Miriam E. Delphin-Rittmon hosted a convening with U.S. drug manufacturers who currently have FDA-approved opioid overdose reversal medication products. During the meeting, senior Biden-Harris officials reiterated President Biden's clear and urgent directive to increase access and affordability of these life-saving overdose reversal medications, and underscored the critical role manufacturers play in the all-of-society effort to help end the nation's overdose crisis. The officials also called on manufacturers to take robust actions in support of the Biden-Harris administration's guiding principles, which include that no one who needs overdose reversal medications should lack access because of costs or availability; that at-risk communities should be saturated with these medications to reduce fatality rates; that organizations serving high-risk individuals should not need to ration these medications; that more must be done to raise public awareness; and that public health agencies need timely, actionable data on distribution and gaps in access.
- White House Office of National Drug Control Policy Director Dr. Rahul Gupta
- White House Domestic Policy Council Advisor Neera Tanden
- U.S. Assistant Secretary for Health Admiral Rachel Levine
- U.S. Assistant Secretary for Mental Health and Substance Use Dr. Miriam E. Delphin-Rittmon
- Adamis Pharmaceuticals Corporation
- Amphastar Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Aptar Pharma/AptarGroup, Inc.
- Emergent BioSolutions, Inc.
- Indivior, PLC
- Hikma Pharmaceuticals, PLC
- Padagis, LLC
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, LTD
- U.S. WorldMeds, LLC
Joseph R. Biden, Readout of White House Meeting on Increasing Access and Affordability of FDA-Approved Overdose Reversal Medications Online by Gerhard Peters and John T. Woolley, The American Presidency Project https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/node/363312