Memorandum on Certification on Compliance With the Namibia/Angola Accords
Presidential Determination No. 91-13
Memorandum for the Secretary of State
Pursuant to Section 417 of the Foreign Relations Authorization Act, Fiscal Years 1990 and 1991 (Public Law 101-246; 104 Stat. 72), I hereby certify that:
(1) the United States has received explicit and reliable assurances from each of the parties to the Bilateral Agreement between the Governments of the People's Republic of Angola and the Republic of Cuba for the Termination of the International Mission of the Cuban Military Contingent, signed at the United Nations on December 22, 1988, that all Cuban troops will be withdrawn from Angola by July 1, 1991, and that no Cuban troops will remain in Angola after that date; and
(2) the Secretary General of the United Nations has assured the United States that it is his understanding that all Cuban troops will be withdrawn from Angola by July 1, 1991, and that no Cuban troops will remain in Angola after that date.
In addition, I hereby determine and certify that:
(1) each of the signatories to the Tripartite Agreement among the People's Republic of Angola, the Republic of Cuba, and the Republic of South Africa, signed at the United Nations on December 22, 1988, is in compliance with its obligations under the Agreement;
(2) the Government of Cuba has complied with its obligations under Article 1 of the Bilateral Agreement (relating to the calendar for redeployment and withdrawal of Cuban troops);
(3) the Cubans have not engaged in any offensive military actions against UNITA, including the use of chemical warfare;
(4) the United Nations and its affiliated agencies have terminated all funding and other support, in conformity with the United Nations impartiality package, to the South West Africa People's Organization (SWAPO); and
(5) the United Nations Angola Verification Mission is demonstrating diligence, impartiality, and professionalism in verifying the departure of Cuban troops and the recording of any troop rotations.
You are directed to inform the appropriate committees of the Congress of this Determination and to provide them with copies of the justification explaining the basis for this Determination. You are further directed to publish this Determination in the Federal Register.
THE WHITE HOUSE,
Washington, January 7, 1991.
George Bush, Memorandum on Certification on Compliance With the Namibia/Angola Accords Online by Gerhard Peters and John T. Woolley, The American Presidency Project https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/node/327771