Letter to Congressional Leaders Transmitting a Report on Haiti
Pursuant to section 559(b) of Foreign Operations, Export Financing, and Related Programs Appropriations Act, 2000, I hereby transmit to you a report concerning the status of Haiti's progress.
The report contains eight subsections, which provide information required by section 559(b) of the Act, to the extent that such information is available. These subsections address:
- Governmental Institutions Envisioned in the 1987 Haitian Constitution.
- Privatization of Haiti's Major Public Entities.
- Efforts to Re-sign the Lapsed Bilateral Repatriation Agreement, and Cooperation in Halting Illegal Migration.
- Investigations and Prosecution of Extrajudicial and Political Killings, and Cooperation With the United States In Such Investigation.
- Removal and Maintenance of Separation of Human Rights Violators from Haitian Public Security Entities or Units.
- Ratification of the 1997 Maritime Counter-Narcotics Agreement.
- Development of Haiti's Domestic Capacity to Conduct Free, Fair, Democratic, and Administratively Sound Elections.
- Demonstrated Commitment of Haiti's Minister of Justice to the Professionalism of the Judiciary, and Progress Toward Judicial Branch Independence.
WILLIAM J. CLINTON
NOTE: Letters were sent to Joseph R. Biden, Jr., chairman, and Jesse Helms, ranking member, Senate Committee on Foreign Relations; Robert C. Byrd, chairman, and Ted Stevens, ranking member, Senate Committee on Appropriations; Henry J. Hyde, chairman, and Tom Lantos, ranking member, House Committee on International Relations; and C.W. Bill Young, chairman, and David R. Obey, ranking member, House Committee on Appropriations. This letter was released by the Office of the Press Secretary on January 18. An original was not available for verification of the content of this letter.
William J. Clinton, Letter to Congressional Leaders Transmitting a Report on Haiti Online by Gerhard Peters and John T. Woolley, The American Presidency Project https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/node/227844