Letter to Congressional Leaders Transmitting an Alternative Plan for Pay Adjustments for Civilian Federal Employees
Dear Mr. Speaker: (Dear Madam President:)
I am transmitting an alternative plan for pay adjustments for civilian Federal employees covered by the General Schedule and certain other pay systems in January 2024.
Title 5, United States Code, authorizes me to implement alternative plans for pay adjustments for civilian Federal employees covered by the General Schedule and certain other pay systems if, because of "national emergency or serious economic conditions affecting the general welfare," I view the increases that would otherwise take effect as inappropriate.
Accordingly, I have determined that it is appropriate to exercise my authority to set alternative pay adjustments for 2024 pursuant to 5 U.S.C. 5303(b) and 5 U.S.C. 5304a.
Specifically, I have determined that for 2024, the across-the-board base pay increase will be 4.7 percent and locality pay increases will average 0.5 percent, resulting in an overall average increase of 5.2 percent for civilian Federal employees, consistent with the assumption in my 2024 Budget.
We must attract, recruit, and retain a skilled workforce with fair compensation in order to keep our Government running, deliver services, and meet our Nation's challenges today and tomorrow. This alternative pay plan decision will continue to allow the Federal Government to employ a well-qualified Federal workforce on behalf of the American people, keeping pace with prior wage growth in the labor market.
The adjustment described above shall take effect on the first day of the first applicable pay period beginning on or after January 1, 2024.
JOSEPH R. BIDEN, JR.
NOTE: Identical letters were sent to Kevin O. McCarthy, Speaker of the House of Representatives, and Kamala D. Harris, President of the Senate. An original was not available for verification of the content of this letter.
Joseph R. Biden, Letter to Congressional Leaders Transmitting an Alternative Plan for Pay Adjustments for Civilian Federal Employees Online by Gerhard Peters and John T. Woolley, The American Presidency Project https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/node/364531