Fact Sheet - President Donald J. Trump is Safeguarding the Right to Religious Freedom for Students and Organizations
PROTECTING PRAYER IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS: President Donald J. Trump remains committed to protecting every student's constitutional right to pray in school.
- The Trump Administration is taking action to further safeguard students' constitutionally protected right to pray in school.
- President Trump is updating Federal guidance regarding protected prayer and religious expression in public schools, which has not been issued since 2003.
- The update will help safeguard students' rights by giving education providers and students the most current information concerning prayer in public schools.
- To receive Federal funds, local educational agencies must confirm that their policies do not prevent or interfere with the constitutionally-protected rights outlined in the guidance.
- The updated guidance will help improve individuals' ability to file a complaint if they are denied the ability to participate in protected religious expression.
- The new guidance makes clear that students can read religious texts or pray during recess and other non-instructional periods, organize prayer groups, and express their religious beliefs in their assignments.
PROMOTING EQUAL TREATMENT: The Administration is working to ensure that our Nation's religious organizations are treated equally by the Federal government.
- The Administration is issuing nine proposed rules to protect religious organizations from unfair and unequal treatment by the Federal government.
- The proposed rules would eliminate burdensome Obama-era requirements that unfairly imposed unique regulatory burdens only on religious organizations.
- The Office of Management and Budget is also releasing a memo requiring Federal agencies to ensure that the grant-making practices of state recipients of Federal funding comply with the First Amendment.
- The Trump Administration is committed to ensuring religious organizations can compete on a level playing field for funding, without discrimination.
CHAMPIONING RELIGIOUS FREEDOM: These actions build on President Trump's longstanding commitment to safeguarding the fundamental right to religious freedom.
- During his first year in office, President Trump signed an Executive Order upholding religious liberty and the right to engage in religious speech.
- President Trump signed an Executive Order recognizing the essential contributions of faith-based organizations and establishing the Faith and Opportunity Initiative.
- The Administration continues to unequivocally stand up for religious liberty in the courts.
- President Trump reversed the Obama-era policy that prevented the government from providing disaster relief to religious organizations.
- Last year, President Trump hosted a Global Call to Protect Religious Freedom event at the United Nations and called on the international community and business leaders to work to protect religious freedom around the world.
- The Administration has stood up for religious liberty around the world, partnering with local and faith-based organizations to provide assistance to vulnerable religious minorities.
Donald J. Trump, Fact Sheet - President Donald J. Trump is Safeguarding the Right to Religious Freedom for Students and Organizations Online by Gerhard Peters and John T. Woolley, The American Presidency Project https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/node/335388