Fact Sheet - President Donald J. Trump is Protecting the Homeland and the World from Global Health Security Threats
PROTECTING AGAINST GLOBAL HEALTH SECURITY THREATS: President Donald J. Trump is taking action to protect America and our partners from infectious disease threats.
- Today, the Trump Administration is releasing its Global Health Security Strategy (Strategy), the first full-fledged strategy of its kind.
- The Strategy defines the actions the Administration will take to prevent, detect, and respond to infectious disease threats, whether naturally occurring, accidental, or deliberate.
- The Strategy adopts a whole-of-government approach to health security by leveraging the strengths of many different Federal departments, agencies, and funding streams.
- Combating biological threats and pandemics are a cornerstone of President Donald J. Trump's National Security Strategy.
- President Trump released the National Biodefense Strategy in September 2018 to prepare for and combat biological threats.
STRENGTHENING GLOBAL HEALTH SECURITY CAPACITIES: The United States is working to help ensure that partner countries can respond to health security threats.
- The United States is working with international partners to help improve the world's ability to stop and contain infectious disease outbreaks before they spread between countries.
- Under our new Strategy, the United States will work to ensure that every partner country has a plan to achieve self-reliance in the critical area of health security.
- The Administration strongly supports the Global Health Security Agenda as a mechanism to accelerate progress addressing infectious disease threats.
- Nations, international organizations, and the private sector established the Global Health Security Agenda, laying out specific targets to reduce infectious disease threats.
- The Global Health Security Agenda was first launched in 2014 and re-affirmed in 2018.
- The United States supports the use of the World Health Organization's Joint External Evaluation process to help implement the International Health Regulations.
- Using this process, the United States will assist our international partners to help improve their performance in priority areas.
- We will encourage countries to strengthen their technical capacities and will support select partner countries in areas such as emergency preparedness and disease surveillance.
INCREASING INTERNATIONAL SUPPORT: The United States is creating a safer world by utilizing collective global action to combat global health security threats.
- Under this Strategy, the United States will use bilateral, regional, and multilateral engagements to encourage countries to make health security a national priority.
- The United States will coordinate with partner governments, nongovernmental organizations, and the private sector to promote sustainable financing to build health security capacity.
- The United States will push for a transparent and accountable framework to encourage donors and countries to fulfill their financial commitments to global health security.
- By increasing international support, we will be able to enhance preparedness and response mechanisms to combat infectious diseases at home and abroad.
Donald J. Trump, Fact Sheet - President Donald J. Trump is Protecting the Homeland and the World from Global Health Security Threats Online by Gerhard Peters and John T. Woolley, The American Presidency Project https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/node/334343