Fact Sheet - President Donald J. Trump Is Helping Americans Gain a Second Chance to Build a Brighter Future
PROVIDING A SECOND CHANCE AT SUCCESS: President Donald J. Trump is advancing second chance hiring to help give all Americans the opportunity to work towards a brighter future.
- The Trump Administration is promoting second chance hiring to ensure Americans have opportunities to succeed after leaving prison.
- The President is mobilizing resources across his Administration to boost second chance hiring.
- The Department of Justice and Bureau of Prisons is launching a new "Ready to Work Initiative" to connect employers directly with former prisoners.
- The Department of Labor is awarding more than $2 million to States to support fidelity bonds that will underwrite companies that hire workers with criminal backgrounds.
- The Department of Education is expanding an initiative that allows individuals in prison to receive Pell Grants to better prepare themselves for the workforce.
- The Office of Personnel Management is working to make USAJOBS – the Federal Government's job listings – available to individuals in Federal prison and upon release.
- The Trump Administration is working with the private sector and non-profit organizations to help give former prisoners a second chance at the American dream.
- Employers realize that second chance hiring is good for their businesses, especially in today's thriving economy where there are far more job opportunities than job seekers.
- Non-profits play a critical role by providing transitional assistance, counseling, housing, and education to former prisoners so they may become productive members of society.
FROM THE FIRST STEP TO A SECOND CHANCE: The First Step Act and second chance hiring are part of President Trump's agenda to create opportunity for all Americans.
- Second chance hiring builds on the success of the historic First Step Act signed into law by President Trump in December 2018. The First Step Act created a fairer justice system for all and enacted programs to reduce recidivism and make our communities safer.
- This landmark legislation reformed policies that failed Americans for decades and enabled some offenders to petition for a review of their sentences.
- Since the First Step Act was signed into law, 90 percent of those who have had their sentences reduced are African American.
LIFTING UP OUR WORKERS, BUSINESSES, AND COMMUNITIES: The American people, our businesses, and our communities all benefit from second chance hiring.
- Second chance hiring gives former prisoners the chance to successfully reenter society and live a life with dignity and meaning.
- Instead of struggling to find the talent they need, businesses that hire former prisoners can often gain productive and dedicated workers.
- All Americans benefit when former prisoners are able to find an occupation and a purpose rather than returning to crime.
Donald J. Trump, Fact Sheet - President Donald J. Trump Is Helping Americans Gain a Second Chance to Build a Brighter Future Online by Gerhard Peters and John T. Woolley, The American Presidency Project https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/node/334487