Executive Order 9040—DEFINING ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES OF THE WAR PRODUCTION BOARD
EXECUTIVE ORDER 9040
DEFINING ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES OF THE WAR PRODUCTION BOARD
January 24, 1942
By virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the statutes, as President of the United States and Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy, and for the purpose of assuring the most effective prosecution of war procurement and production, it is hereby ordered as follows:
1. In addition to the responsibilities and duties described in paragraph 2 of Executive Order No. 9024, of January 16, 1942, the Chairman of the War Production Board, with the advice and assistance of the members of the Board, shall:
a. Perform the functions and exercise the powers heretofore vested in the Office of Production Management.
b. Perform the functions and exercise the powers vested in the Supply Priorities and Allocations Board, by Executive Order No. 8942, of November 19, 1941.
c. Perform the functions and exercise the authority vested in the President by Section 120 of the National Defense Act of 1916, (39 Stat. 213).
2. Paragraph 1 of said Executive Order No. 9024 of January 16, 1942, is amended to provide that the Lieutenant General in charge of War Department Production, and the Director of the Labor Division of the War Production Board shall be members of the War Production Board vice the Director General and Associate Director General of the Office of Production Management.
3. The Chairman of the War Production Board may exercise the powers, authority, and discretion conferred upon him by this or any other Order through such officials or agencies and in such manner as he may determine; and his decisions shall be final.
4. The Office of Production Management, established by Executive Order No. 8629 of January 7, 1941, is abolished and its personnel, records, property, and funds are transferred to the War Production Board.
5. Executive Order No. 8629, of January 7, 1941, is rescinded, and Executive Order No. 9024, of January 16, 1942, and any other Executive Orders the provisions of which are inconsistent with the provisions of this Order, are amended accordingly.
FRANKLIN D ROOSEVELT
THE WHITE HOUSE,
January 24, 1942.
Exec. Order No. 9040, 7 FR 527, 1942 WL 4030 (Pres.)
Franklin D. Roosevelt, Executive Order 9040—DEFINING ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES OF THE WAR PRODUCTION BOARD Online by Gerhard Peters and John T. Woolley, The American Presidency Project https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/node/210773