Executive Order 11196—Providing for the Performance by the Housing and Home Finance Administrator of Certain Functions Vested in or Subject to the Approval of the President
By virtue of the authority vested in me by Section 301 of Title 3 of the United States Code, and as President of the United States, it is hereby ordered as follows—
Section 1. The Housing and Home Finance Administrator is hereby designated and empowered to exercise, without the approval, ratification, or other action of the President, the following:
(1) The authority vested in the President by Section 6(d) of the United States Housing Act of 1937, 50 Stat. 888 (42 U.S.C. 1406(d)), to approve the undertaking by the Public Housing Administration of any annual contribution, grant, or loan, or any contract for any annual contribution, grant, or loan, under that Act.
(2) The authority vested in the President by Section 14 of the United States Housing Act of 1937, 50 Stat. 895 (42 U.S.C. 1414), to approve the amending or superseding of any contract for annual contributions or loans, or both, so that the going Federal rate on the basis of which such annual contributions or the interest rate on the loans, or both, respectively, are fixed shall mean the going Federal rate on the date of approval of the amending or superseding contract entered into by the Public Housing Administration.
(3) The authority vested in the Housing and Home Finance Administrator by Section 103(b) of the Housing Act of 1949, 63 Stat. 416 (42 U.S.C. 1453(b)), to contract, with the approval of the President, to make grants under Title I of that Act.
(4) The authority vested in the President by Title II of the Act of June 28, 1940, ch. 440, 54 Stat. 681 (42 U.S.C. 1501-1505), to determine that housing administered or assisted by the Public Housing Administration under that Title is no longer needed to assure the availability of dwellings for persons engaged in national-defense activities: Provided, That determinations under this paragraph shall require the concurrence of the Secretary of Defense.
(5) The authority vested in the President by Section 5 of the Act of June 29, 1936, ch. 860, 49 Stat. 2026, to approve the dedication by the Public Housing Commissioner of streets, alleys, and parks for public use, and the granting by the Commissioner of easements, in connection with any low-cost housing or slum-clearance project described in that Act.
(6) The authority vested in the President by Section 57 of the Alaska Omnibus Act (added by Public Law 88-451 of August 19, 1964, 78 Stat. 507), (A) to make the grants to the State of Alaska provided for in that Section, (B) to approve a plan submitted by the State of Alaska for the implementation of the purpose of that Section, (C) to specify reports to be made by the agency designated by the State of Alaska in accordance with that Section and to prescribe the form of, and information to be contained in, such reports, and (D) to demand access to the records upon which such reports are based.
Sec. 2. The following are hereby superseded:
(1) Part III of Executive Order No. 10530 of May 10, 1954.
(2) Executive Order No. 10573 of October 26, 1954.
(3) Executive Order No. 10852 of November 27, 1959.
(4) So much of Executive Order No. 11184 of October 13,1964, as added paragraph (g) to Section 4 of Executive Order No. 10530 of May 10, 1954.
Sec. 3. (a) References in this Order to any statute or to any provision of any statute shall be deemed to include (1) to the extent not inappropriate, references thereto as amended from time to time, (2) in the cases of Sections 1(1), 1(2), 1(4), and 1(5) of this Order, references to Reorganization Plan No. 3 of 1947 (61 Stat. 954), and (3) in the case of Section 1(5) of this Order, a reference to Executive Order No. 7732 of October 27, 1937.
(b) Unless inappropriate, any reference in any Executive order to any Executive order which is superseded by this Order, or to any Executive order provision so superseded, shall hereafter be deemed to refer to this Order or to the provision of Section 1 hereof, if any, which corresponds to the superseded provision.
Sec. 4. All actions heretofore taken by the President or by his delegate in respect of the matters affected by Section 1 of this Order and in force at the time of the issuance of this Order shall, except as they may be inconsistent with the provisions of this Order, remain in effect until amended, modified, or revoked pursuant to the authority conferred by this Order unless sooner terminated by operation of law.
LYNDON B. JOHNSON
The White House,
February 2, 1965.
Lyndon B. Johnson, Executive Order 11196—Providing for the Performance by the Housing and Home Finance Administrator of Certain Functions Vested in or Subject to the Approval of the President Online by Gerhard Peters and John T. Woolley, The American Presidency Project https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/node/306476