DeSantis Campaign Press Release - Ron DeSantis Receives Historic Endorsement from Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds
This is the first time since 1996 that a sitting Iowa governor has endorsed in a contested Republican presidential primary.
Des Moines, IA - Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds endorsed Ron DeSantis for president today on stage at a campaign rally in Des Moines, Iowa. Reynolds' endorsement is historic — she is the first sitting Iowa governor to endorse in a contested Republican presidential primary since 1996.
"We are resilient. We can turn this country around. But if we don't get this next election right, if we don't choose right, we are not going to get this country back. So, we have to do everything we can to make the right choice. Not only do we need to make sure that we elect someone who can win and beat Joe Biden, we need a president who has the skill and the resolve to reverse the madness that we see every single day. We need someone who will fight for you and win for you. We need someone who won't get distracted but will stay disciplined, who puts this country first and not himself. That leader is Ron DeSantis!"
"At a time when the world is spinning out of control, that is what we should be looking for in a president. Someone who gets results, who devotes every single ounce of their energy to make our lives better, someone who's honest, and who actually knows what it's like to be sent to war, someone that knows when life begins and thinks it's a beautiful thing to save a beating heart. Someone who calls out our moral decline for what it is, who looks to the future and not the past, someone who most importantly, can win. And that person is Ron DeSantis. And that is why I am so proud to stand here tonight and give him my full support and endorsement for President of the United States of America!"
Watch her speech here:
Today's rally marks the sixth public event that Reynolds has participated in with Ron or Casey DeSantis. Reynolds first joined Ron DeSantis in Iowa in March 2022 during his first visit to the state. Reynolds introduced DeSantis at his presidential launch event in Des Moines, DeSantis joined Reynolds for her Fairside Chat series at the Iowa State Fair in August, and Reynolds joined Florida's First Lady Casey DeSantis to officially launch DeSantis' national coalition, "Mamas for DeSantis."
Since announcing his candidacy for president, DeSantis has:
- Visited 87 of Iowa's 99 counties (and will visit all 99 before the caucus);
- Earned endorsements from 41 state legislators (more than any candidate in the race); and
- Has made over 100 stops in the Hawkeye State.
DeSantis and Reynolds are strong conservative leaders who have taken decisive action to help the people of their states. Both governors have:
- Championed universal school choice (Reynolds and DeSantis);
- Protected parents' rights (Reynolds and DeSantis);
- Enacted meaningful tax reform (Reynolds and DeSantis);
- Run budget surpluses (Reynolds and DeSantis);
- Kept their states open during COVID lockdowns (Reynolds and DeSantis);
- Signed Heartbeat legislation to protect life (Reynolds and DeSantis);
- Stood for law and order (Reynolds and DeSantis);
- Took action to protect our southern border (Reynolds and DeSantis);
- Protected women and fairness in sports (Reynolds and DeSantis);
- And more.
Ron DeSantis, DeSantis Campaign Press Release - Ron DeSantis Receives Historic Endorsement from Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds Online by Gerhard Peters and John T. Woolley, The American Presidency Project https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/node/367758