- Born in Novo Mesto, Yugoslavia (now in Slovenia), Melania Trump is the second first lady to be born outside of the United States, Louisa Adams being the first.
- Her modeling career took her to New York City where she met Donald Trump at a fashion industry event.
- Melania became a U.S. citizen in 2006, the same year she gave birth to her first child Barron William Trump.
- She infrequently made appearances as ‘first lady’ since she was not fully confident in her knowledge of U.S. history, politics, and procedure.
- Pioneered the “Be Best” campaign aimed at promoting children’s well-being and denouncing bullying, especially online.
- Broke tradition by not hosting a “tea and tour” with incoming First Lady Jill Biden.