Readout of White House Meeting with State Legislative Leaders on Housing Affordability
Building on President Biden's Housing Supply Action Plan, White House Officials from the National Economic Council, Domestic Policy Council, and Office of Intergovernmental Affairs convened a meeting on housing affordability with state legislative leaders from ten states.
Lowering costs for working families is a top priority for President Biden. In October 2022, the Biden-Harris Administration announced key progress on implementing its Housing Supply Action Plan, including finalizing regulations that make it easier to build mixed-income housing, extending Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) deadlines, streamlining a Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac financing program, and promoting more housing options near transit. In the meeting, White House Officials shared that the Administration looks forward to partnering with state and local governments on expanding housing supply, strengthening tenant protections, reducing homelessness, and promoting equity in housing.
During the meeting, legislative leaders from California, Oregon, and Maine shared how their states successfully passed comprehensive land-use reform policies to increase housing affordability. Legislative leaders from other states shared their plans for advancing land-use reform legislation in the 2023 legislative session. State leaders also discussed actions to reduce regulatory barriers for affordable housing, increase funding for affordable housing, protect tenant rights, ensure fair housing access, and address homelessness.
State legislative leaders from today's meeting included:
- Toni Atkins, California President Pro Tempore of the Senate
- Scott Wiener, California Senate Assistant Majority Whip
- Julie Fahey, Oregon House Majority Leader
- Nikil Saval, Pennsylvania State Senator
- Craig Hickman, Maine State Senator
- Jessica Bateman, Washington State Representative
- Patty Kuderer, Washington State Senator
- Andy Vargas, Massachusetts State Representative
- Kevin Honan, Massachusetts State Representative
- Steve Elkins, Minnesota State Representative
- Rich Draheim, Minnesota State Senator
- Stanley Chang, Hawaii State Senator
- Troy Hashimoto, Hawaii State Representative
- Javier Mabrey, Colorado State Representative-elect
- Betsy Coffia, Michigan State Representative-elect
- Jason Hoskins, Michigan State Representative-elect
- Jason Morgan, Michigan State Representative-elect
Joseph R. Biden, Readout of White House Meeting with State Legislative Leaders on Housing Affordability Online by Gerhard Peters and John T. Woolley, The American Presidency Project https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/node/359097