Press Release - Readout of Labor Leaders Meeting to Discuss the American Rescue Plan and Infrastructure
Today, President Biden and senior White House officials hosted a meeting with a group of labor union leaders to discuss the importance of the American Rescue Plan and the President's plans to create millions of jobs in R&D, manufacturing and clean energy. The meeting included unions representing workers from across the country -- the backbone of our nation, the working class.
During the meeting, the labor leaders underscored a shared commitment to collaborating and coordinating with the federal government to ensure we build back better after this pandemic and that the future of America is made in America, by American workers.
Additionally, President Biden engaged the labor leaders during the meeting in a conversation about their priorities, recommendations, and the importance of ensuring union workers play a key role in building a resilient and sustainable infrastructure that can withstand extreme weather and a changing climate all while creating millions of good paying union jobs in the process.
The full list of labor leaders in attendance at today's meeting is as follows:
- James T. Callahan, General President, International Union of Operating Engineers (IUOE)
- Eric Dean, General President, Iron Workers International Union (IW)
- Robert Martinez, Jr., International President, International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW)
- Sean McGarvey, President, North America's Building Trades Union (NABTU)
- Mark McManus, General President, United Association Union of Plumbers, Fitters, Welders, & Service Techs (UA)
- Terry O'Sullivan, General President, Laborers' International Union of North America (LIUNA)
- Kenneth E. Rigmaiden, General President, International Union of Painters and Allied Trades (IUPAT)
- Elizabeth H. Shuler, Secretary-Treasurer, American Federation of Labor-Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO)
- Lonnie Stephenson, International President, International Brotherhood of ?Electrical Workers (IBEW)
- Richard Trumka, President, American Federation of Labor-Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO)
Joseph R. Biden, Press Release - Readout of Labor Leaders Meeting to Discuss the American Rescue Plan and Infrastructure Online by Gerhard Peters and John T. Woolley, The American Presidency Project https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/node/348044